Are you an Indian residing in the UK? Wondering how to transfer money online from your bank account in the UK to your family back home in India? This guide provides a step-by-step process for international money transfers from the UK to India.
Regardless of whether you are a student, a temporary worker, or a full-time resident in the UK, you probably would have a bank account in the UK.
Unlike in India, in the UK, current accounts are used as the primary transactional account, and a savings bank account is used primarily for saving. The current bank account is the one you use to receive your salary, make transactions – receive payments, and pay others. Most banks in the UK offer a debit card along with this account. You can swipe this card for shopping at stores, and you can also access your account details using online banking or mobile banking apps.
You can transfer money to your family and friends back in India using your bank account. This can be done in two ways.
Method 1: Visit the Bank to Initiate a Wire Transfer
If the time of transfer is not a concern, you can choose this method. This may be a bit time-consuming process and requires you to visit the nearest branch of your bank. You request the teller to initiate an international transfer. You have to fill up the corresponding form which requires details like – your bank account number, details of the recipient, your mobile number, and email id.
Once you pay the transfer amount and the applicable fees, your transfer is initiated. Your recipient receives the amount after a few working days.
Method 2: Transfer Online
Several banks today offer the facility of international transfers directly from your banking account. This is quite handy, as you can transfer at any time and from anywhere. Using this method, you can transfer money to any bank account in India, quickly.
Here are the steps involved.
- If this is your first time initiating an overseas transfer, you will be required to complete your profile by providing a few key details.
- You can choose from already added recipients or add new recipients to your account.
- Link your existing current account.
- Specify the amount you wish to transfer to the recipient.
- Confirm the recipient’s details and the amount. Pay for the transaction.
The amount is sent directly to the recipient’s bank account in India. There are plenty of benefits of transferring money online for international transfers:
- You can lock-in an exchange rate for future transfers. This prevents you from fluctuating market rates.
- If you make transfers periodically, you can schedule transfers – say on the fifth of every month and so on. This way transfers are made automatically on the scheduled date.
- You can also make payments to entities in India like electricity boards, mobile service providers, etc.
- Highly convenient and time-saving. You can initiate an international transfer at any time and from anywhere.
As you can see, international transfers from the UK to India are easy, and you can now transfer directly from your bank account in the UK to any bank account in India. Make use of this guide for all your future transfers and stay connected to your family and friends back home in India.
Leave a Reply